Monday, September 2, 2013

One of my major projects - moving the kitchen


One of my major projects is relocating the kitchen closer to the bathroom. The first photo is the old location and the second is the new location. I want to do this to keep the plumbing closer together and not have to worry about lines going from one end of the room to another as the room is about 20 feet long.

This is a project I am definitely going to need help with as I have discovered that plumbing is one area that I fail at. So I need to line up some help or hire it done. Plumbing is an area that I am more than happy to pay someone to do it for me. I have learned that while it costs it saves me in time and frustration which for me I worth paying out the money.

So the plan is to basically flip the area from the way it is currently. The kitchen is in the front near the door and the bathroom is located at the opposite end of the room. I have purchased a metal kitchen cabinet set that I think was popular in the 50s to use in the new kitchen. They need to be either painted or covered in some manner before installing them. I was able to find them at the local Habitat for Humanity Restore location in Athens, OH. This is a great place to get building supplies and other things if you have one in your area. They will also take donations if you have things you want to donate.

The water/drain lines for both the kitchen and bathroom have to be installed as well as moving the propane lines for the hot water heater, the stove and the refrigerator. Installing and moving the lines is the part that will cost money as this will have to be done by someone who knows what they are doing. This is going to be the expensive part of the whole project but hopefully not too costly.

Once the move is made I have decided to make a lounge/reading area in the old kitchen area as the lighting coming in the large windows at the end of the room will be a nice place to sit and read or work on the computer. I already have a vision of sitting in a comfortable chair with a cup of tea reading a book while it snows outside.

So again lots of planning is happening right now. Hoping to get a chunk of the projects done by the end of the end.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for another great article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such information. malibu moving company

    ReplyDelete