Saturday, October 12, 2013

Firewood - where can I get it, how much and what is it going to cost me.

One thing I have learned is it is key to find reliable sources of firewood if you don't have time, skill or wood available to gather your own. My problem is a combination of time and skill. I work full time and only have limited time to do things around the property. I also lack the skill to drop trees. Once they are down I am good to go. So for now I order the majority of my wood from local providers.

It can be hard to find a reliable source. If you are lucky you will live in an area where you have a number of choices. But where do you look? I always check out the bulletin boards on any local business that have them. Some might not be where you would expect. In my area the local laundry has a bulletin board that allows for local businesses to put up their information. I have seen everything from baby sitting to businesses that will haul anything. So always check them out. Also local hardware and farm stores usually have them. Some are not in obvious places. The one at the local Tractor Supply Store is back by the restrooms and office. If you don't see one ask the store employees.

Another source can be local papers. Look in the classifieds and you should find some listings of businesses or there may be people who just have some wood to sale or get rid of for the hauling. It never hurts to check it out.

Of course you can also do a search on the internet to see if there are local businesses. I actually did this recently and found a number in my area. Some were not in business any more but I found enough to give me a good selection. I also found an Ohio website that listed businesses that sold firewood. The site contained a number of contacts that dealt with the lumber industry.

Once you have some contact information you need to start making phone calls. Some of the basic questions you need to ask is what type of wood do you have and is it seasoned and for how long. Also you need to know what they charge per cord. Ask if you can pick it up and if so what is the cost for that. Hauling your own is usually cheaper even if it is more work. Lots of businesses can provide delivery but you will pay extra for it and some will only deliver if you purchase a certain amount. So if possible save the money and haul your own. While it is more work it can be a lot more satisfying.

Last little bit of advice always get more than you think you are going to need. If this is your only heat source than you don't want to be running around trying to find firewood for the last month or so of winter. Most places will be sold out or they will only have firewood that is not seasoned. So plan for needing more and if you don't need it you are a little ahead for the next winter season.

Peace,
Pam

2 comments:

  1. I live in a National Forest. For a small fee each year I can get plenty of dead hardwood from the forest. Don't know if all National forests have the same program but it might be worth checking into. Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sylvia,

    This is a great suggestion if you live near a National forest. I never realized that this might be an option. I actually live fairly close to the only National forest in Ohio. Thank you for sharing this information.

    Peace,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete